A quirky time out of touch

This weekend we had the rare experience of being "offline" for over 72 hours. Being this is Africa, we expect that this COULD happen from time to time, but it usually doesn't. Lucky us! During that little blip in the disconnectedness of our lives with others all around the world, I felt funny. Here is a little comentary on my few days away from e-mail, Facebook, and Google.

Thursday Evening: Hmmm, something is not right here. My Facebook wall won't update... and I can't get tot hat recipe I looked up this morning.

Friday Morning: Off to M'Padue school without even a "here I go" message to my friends. Oh well, I don't have time anyway!

Friday Afternoon: Mikael, "Seems there is something wrong with the internet. It isn't working at the office either." Me, "I wanted to post a few pictures from this morning, but I can wait." I waited... here they are...

Opening of the meeting with about 50 teachers in a normal classroom.

Groups working on using the Red Zebra booklets in the "local curriculum" part of the teaching plan.
20% of any subject should be contextualized into the local culture, language or value system.

One of the grade 1&2 groups decided to use the books to teach numbers and colors in part of the math lessons.

Ha ha ha... What? You mean we were supposed to fill in the sheet for planning the lessons? We didn't do it.

Later...
There was this guy walking down the street with one shoe balancing on his head. I wanted a picture, so I stopped. When I asked him if I could take a picture, he said, "Why?" Me, "Because you have a shoe on your head and I think it is cool." ShoeGuy, "I don't stop for pictures, but you can take one." So I trotted along trying to get him before he disappeared. Just got a shot from the back. I'm sure he thinks I'm weird.

Friday night...
We went out to dinner. There are tables just over "bar height" where the boys decide we should sit. The chairs are enormous and I have to climb up like a 3 year old. The whole thing is really weird. We took a picture, but I can't share it...

On the way home, there is a group of about 15 couples outside the barbershop... lined up and dancing in formation... like ballroom dancing. Just there in the glow of "Happy Hour Barber" in a very orderly fashion. Seems a little like a dream, but it is real. I didn't get a picture. Just wanted to share it with the world and couldn't.

Saturday...
Quiet. Still no recipes. I didn't realize how often I look up recipes online. I used a cookbook.
We did a little shopping. I sent smses to people who should know that I'm not available on internet. I start to wonder if Mother's Day is this weekend since the kids aren't in school and I'm out of touch. I decide it will be Mother's Day... and I let my family know that I know that "tomorrow is Mother's Day". I've given up on being subtle with these men in my life.

Sunday...
Coffee and Muffins and Happy Mother's Day from the guys. We found an American Calendar and confirmed my "intuition" that it was Mother's Day... but then we realize that it was possibly Mother's Day in Sweden LAST week and we missed it... or it is next week? Weird. My life is a little weird.

The internet guys promised to come Sunday, so we waited and no one showed up. We thought it was odd they would come on a Sunday. It was and they didn't... But they came on Monday afternoon and NOW we are all hooked up again. I feel like I've missed something. I like sharing my world when things are a little quirky and interesting. So now I feel caught up... even if this isn't all that interesting to you. I just wanted you to know.

Comments

  1. AnonymousMay 13, 2014

    Hadn't visited in a while. Glad to see you are back in Africa!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One more year

Getting ticked off

In the evening...