Some things just work better here...

While we often complain about how things don't work in Africa or how long it takes to do some things here, I must admit, it isn't everything that is harder to take care of around here. I can get shoes fixed on the sidewalk near the supermarket. Another guy does watches on the same street. Here are a few things I've done in the past week that were easier in Tete than home in USA or Sweden:

Getting copies of old newspapers


Yesterday's news is always new! I waited until afternoon to get this paper on the day it came out. Unfortunately, it was only available after 2pm. Next day I picked it up for the usual cost of 15 mt. I could have gotten a copy of ANY of the papers from the previous week for the same price. Since they never sell out, you can always find old newspapers... but they don't give them away or discount them if they are old.


Dress-makers and tailors are always nearby


Second hand markets and local tailor shops are easy. Katie and I went shopping for Easter dresses at the local market and found two cute sundresses for her. There was also a ballerina tutu for an adult... and I picked up a leopard-print velour lounge dress (it was 50cents and I will one day need leopard print for a school event, I'm sure!). Since my daughter's school has a dress code for attending African churches in the area, she needed a little jacket to go with them. We found fabric that matched both and walked down to my tailor 4 doors down. I dropped off the material, we measured the client, and later the same afternoon we picked up the fully lined custom 'bolero' type jacket. It cost $10... but the service was great and the dresses were cheap so it balances out really well! 

Getting a cell phone serviced is quick easy and cheap!

Getting a cell phone fixed, unlocked, or modified is pretty easy. I had a problem with my smartphone shutting down unexpectedly, not being able to register the charger, and had a foggy lens in the camera. I went by our city market stalls today and spoke with Isac.


He's got soldering irons and a little air compressor that will help in servicing your Samsung, Nokia, Chinese or whatever you've got. It's not a fancy place, but in less than an hour he managed to have my phone working, cleaned, and charging just fine. It cost me about $3. 



There are also plenty of spare parts! Check out the bags, trunks and workbench! While I was there, he gave advice on several phone repairs, found parts for a couple of people and received payments for previous jobs. The hardest part about getting my phone fixed was finding a parking place outside the market!

 So I'll count my blessings and remember that not everything is a chore in this town. We can move at a different pace and look in a different place, but there is progress. Have a happy Monday, everyone!

Comments

  1. Interesting ! Verkar much alike in Thailand ! Irene

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One more year

Getting ticked off

In the evening...