Get lost!

This is Mikael. He is patient... most of the time. He is just as stubborn as I am. He doesn't talk all that much, but when he does, people tend to listen. I forget that he's wise because I run around taking care of business all the time. He's steady and ready when I remember to actually ask him what he thinks. Kind of embarrassing, actually. God must have a sense of humor in setting up this combination!

A few days ago I wrote a Facebook post about getting lost on the way through a very tiny forest right in the middle of town, basically. There was a path that seemed pretty obvious, but it was longer than I thought it should be. The kids were ahead and Mikael was at the back watching over the hiking Bisters. At one point we ended up at the edge of a cow pasture... we noticed the distinctive odor first and then saw the evidence all around our feet. We had a lunch with us and were getting hungry after our long 20 minute hike (insert wink here). So we searched for a picnic spot without cow pies. "Do you know where we are?" I asked. "Yes, we just need to head that way."

Mikael knows that I don't actually listen very well. I have a good idea of how things should work and I stomp off in my knowledge and lead us all into all kinds of adventures. Just ask my kids. If Mikael had been leading us off the wrong way, I'd have made a point of declaring my opinion and heading off the right way myself... he could follow or not, I'd say. I'm not very Christ-like, am I?

This little incident pointed out something I hadn't noticed about God. He doesn't leave us when we head in the wrong direction in our ignorance. We can choose to turn away from him; that is something else - then, we are on our own. Sometimes we just head into the wrong direction with all good intentions. At that point, we've taken the lead. Not a very good position to be in with God having to follow us around on our lost, ignorant path when all we have to do is look to him and ask, "Do you know where we are?"

Then, we just have to stop. Wait. And follow the leader. Maybe I'll learn sooner rather than later that taking the lead isn't always the best place for me. In the mean time, I suppose the safest place for me is taking one step at a time. Asking for clear guidance. Waiting for answers and watching for cow pies so that I don't make too much of a mess along the way. I'm pretty sure we shouldn't just sit waiting for God to pick us up and move us... we have to walk with him. He promises not to leave us on our own when we choose to wander this life in his company. I'm really glad I followed God and he let me bump into Mikael along the way. The two of them have their hands full with me on the loose!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting ticked off

One more year

In the evening...