I really wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised!

On the way out of England, we sat at the Heathrow Airport gate drinking coffee and nibbling leftovers that I thought suitable for breakfast - raisins and dried cranberries, leftover cereal crumbles and nuts and a handful of chocolate chips. Finally, there were 3 fortune cookies dumped in that Ziploc bag. I opened mine:  "You will succeed because you are not easily impressed." I didn't quite know what to think about that, but it stuck in my head.

Maybe that was a fitting note for my departure from England. I think I owe the country an apology. I was a prejudiced little American snob about England. I didn't think it could really be that special. I know, many of my compatriots think England is an epitome of culture and beauty. They think the English do things "right"... even if upon closer examination, we find some things to be just plain "un-American"! I thought the houses would be drafty and somewhat lacking in modernity and that the weather would be wet and gray. I thought the people would be cold and snooty and look down on my American lack of culture. I figured that they would turn up their noses at my cookies and I was really afraid to brew a cup of tea for any Englishman in the world. (Now you know, Sharon and Gregory...) I had quite low expectations. I was wrong.

It IS cold and damp and rainy and gray... or grey, I guess. Our flat was drafty and tiny and cramped and old-fashioned... but completely adequate. We tried public transport and gave up since in the country, that just isn't enough for a family. Yep, we lived in the "country" just 45 minutes from the center... centre... of London, but it was still classified as rural. At the bus-stop I met my first English person. Barbara had a grandson at school with my boys and her car wasn't working so she'd resorted to the bus as well. Sweet, interested and chatty with a smile on her face. She didn't look down on Americans with rambunctious kids on the bus. "If you need anything, give me a call," and she passed me her number. At the bank, opening an account I was offered a cup of tea. Several Brits have said this was unusual, but it was quite nice anyway.

Then there was the countryside... absolutely just like a postcard around every corner in the countryside. Very old cottages and pubs and inns... clumped on tiny winding roads through some of the greenest hills I've ever seen. On a sunny day... and there were enough to make a difference... everything glowed with golden light. Nearly perfect in every way, I guess. London was wonderful once we got our bearings and lowered our expectations of finding cheapish pub food (pubs are expensive, but have really good food). Huge city. There were well-known landmarks around every corner and a very safe feel despite its size. Oxford... needs a sunny day, I think, to be appreciated. Marlow is one of my favorites for a little town on the Thames. Avebury is better than Stonehenge, but you can't skip Stonehenge when it is so close by.

History. Very cool, very close, history in all you see. England has been populated and settled and "civilised" for so long that it is amazingly full of really wonderful things to know about. Stuff is just interesting because it is there for a long time and people wrote about it and kept track of things and are proud of it. So, it is cool.

So, I say thanks to England for a lovely half-year in the Chiltern Hills of Buckinghamshire. I'm so glad we got to know you. I can't imagine when we will be back with our funny travelling lifestyle, but I'd love to come again someday.

I'm officially impressed!

Comments

  1. Glad it's been a positive experience for you and the family, Jeni. My times in the UK have enriched me enormously.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting ticked off

One more year

In the evening...