Huge and Wonderful...

When you are from a place as huge and wonderful as America it is hard to leave. It is interesting that very few Americans actually HAVE passports at all. They really feel no need to ever go anywhere else. With all the diversity and beauty and prosperity within our borders, I guess they are right. You really don't NEED to go anywhere else if you are an American in America.

But, I'm one of an estimated 35% of Americans with a passport. I not only live overseas but am married to an alien. (He's only an alien when we are in the USA, though.) Coming home is a rare thing. We can't afford to make the $8,000 trip every year with the family. We average once in three years and then we divide our visits between Sweden and the USA. It is hard, but it is best for us.

I've been back for three weeks. We took the long way home to a place in Alabama. On the way we visited Washington DC and marveled at modern sculpture and ancient dinosaurs all in the same day. We headed to Orlando headquarters to be reminded that our work is part of a huge effort with thousands of people who understand our choices. Finally we were home in a place as lovingly prepared as a nursery for a firstborn child. There is so much love and emotion and goodness.

Seems like with a life of adapting to so many environments, we forget how to live here. I'm relearning how to dial a simple phone (including having to be reminded that collect calls exist), while the kids are embracing advanced technology on every front. We hold up the line of hungry people while we read through the whole menu at every fast food place. We don't know what school shoes are considered normal this year at this school. Getting dressed for church is a lesson in second-guessing new cultural norms.

It is a struggle to revisit this life without breaking into tears (silly ole me getting as teared up at a high school football game as a worship service). I care so much, but I don't love it all. I look with a different perspective. I appreciate things others don't see. I get annoyed by things no one else even thinks about. I face the uncomfortable struggle to remain true to who I am while remembering where I come from. This is it. Thanks for the prayers!

Comments

  1. Jeni,

    As always your writing style is as refreshing as a spring rain, pure and true. I feel for our missionaries who have been out of the states for a long while. I struggle with some of the changes and I live here! I choose to go to smaller stores when possible because I simply don't need that many choices!

    I'm reminded of a paper a MK wrote many years ago when graduating from Rift Valley Academy. She titled it, "Africa, My Home, And Yet..." To American missionaries spending large periods of time living in other countries can make them feel out of step in their homeland, and yet not fully a part of their country of calling. But your experiences are richer for it. Be assured that wherever you go, you bring a needed freshness, and your insight is valuable. Most of all, when you come to America, we're glad you're here! We're looking forward to when you come to Pensacola too! We love you Bister family!

    Love,
    Linda (Lamb:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting ticked off

One more year

In the evening...