Rain

There was a surprise rain shower here last night. It is a surprise because it is the beginning of October. For the past 12 years we get rain at the end of the month. Last year was different... and this your is different... so maybe the other 10 years were just phase and this is what weather is supposed to be like!

John and Jakob asked to play in the rain. They have happy memories of running around and splashing in puddles (and possibly rolling in the mud, which I frown upon). Since I know they don't place much importance on staying clean, I took precautions: wear the least clothes possible, put a rag on the floor by the kitchen door, and make sure they know that they have to clean up any mess they make.


They decided to be bad and play in the dirt. I didn't notice since I was hiding in my room enjoying a peaceful day of "ferriado" (public holiday) in Mozambique. No maids. No school runs. No people knocking on the gate. Lovely. I finished reading David Ker's memoirs, "Chasing the Hippo" and sending him a few comments from my side. I seriously laughed until I cried! Katie made us breakfast in bed and all three delivered coffee and rolls with marmalade to our room. They were happy to do that since we would stay away form the living room where they were watching cartoons all morning. Until the rain...

I really do hope that this will be a good rainy season here in Tete. People depend on good rains to water their crops. The rain can't come too early or too late. It can't come too often or too little. But, it does, and every year there are crises and worry about, "will there be enough?" So, I pray there will be just the right amount of rain at just the right time for most of the people with seeds to plant. I hope there will be enough showers to splash in for my boys. I hope there will be few power cuts (which usually come with the rain!) so that I almost forget where I keep the candles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting ticked off

One more year

In the evening...