What does Mozambique need?

In about one year, we will be heading back to the US and Sweden for our "furlough" or "home period" as it can be known. Our lives have this rhythm of living years in Mozambique and then a year or less in one of our "home countries." Each time we come home, we are faced with a reassessment of our roles in Mozambique. Do we fill a role that is a need? People want to know. WE also want to know!


One question I have faced each time we come home is, "What do they really need in Mozambique?" People want to know what ONE thing or KIND of thing is most needed in the country where we work. In the past I've had to respond, "Everything! Just pick something and they probably need it!" I understand this isn't that helpful to someone who wants to seriously make a difference. It isn't helpful to us either. BUT, to be really honest, there is a lot of need in many areas. How can we know if we make a difference?

Today I received a link to the UN website with information on Mozambique in light of the "millennium development goals" I've heard about. I honestly had a vague idea of what these goals are, but haven't ever looked at them in context of where I live. I heard about them again at the conference I attended last week. So receiving the link made me take notice. I'll share it here: http://mz.one.un.org/eng.

The Millennium Development Goals



It is interesting for me to look at these 8 indicators of development and see where Mozambique stands. It is also one thing to see the information on paper and then to be faced with he reality of it around me everyday! I encourage you to have a look at the website. I encourage you to think about what this information means. I encourage YOU to answer the question: "What does Mozambique really need?"




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting ticked off

One more year

In the evening...