A library… with books… in Tete!

My appointment with the director of the Universidade Catolica de Tete was at 9am. The director received me warmly and seemed personable and interested in our topic. He's got research of his own underway: "Which local traditions have survived the influence of the Church?" Now there's a topic you can look at for years! He offers me coffee which I accept. (I'm offered coffee just about anytime I visit Catholics!) He chats about his reading habits and is interested in our work in local languages. He loves newspapers! He buys all of them, even the ones that aren't available in Tete. Since he has other business to attend to, I'm turned over to his PR manager with instructions that she should show me around and answer all my questions.

Library door to the right... the Great Zambezi across the road!

We tour the small campus compound situated on one of the main streets parallel to the Zambezi River. The buildings belong to the Catholic Church and were used for a private school for years. In 2009 the University started courses and were given some space. Now they occupy the whole of the compound and have renovated almost all of it. I'm shown the classrooms with space and light and air-conditioners! Students move between classes and relax in shady places. Upstairs, I'm shown the computer lab... and finally the library! A real library! With BOOKS!!!



Inside the library
Inside the Library, shelves line the walls of a converted classroom where more than 900 titles greet the library visitor. They say that all students visit the library. There are photocopiers right in the room, so they don't have to take the books off the premises to copy them. They can't "check out" the books to take home, but using the facilities is free for students and teachers. Most of the materials are resource volumes and text books that are too expensive for most students to purchase. The University offers courses in law, management and finance, so those are the topics that dominate the shelves.


Exterior of the chapel across the campus courtyard
 One of the other features of this campus is that is holds one of the oldest buildings in Tete. Built in 1560's --YES, that's right, there is a 16th century church in Tete-- the chapel was renovated because it was falling down. All freshly painted and newly tiled, there is little that remains of the original historical building. It is used as office space and meeting rooms for student groups. I'm glad it wasn't knocked down, but I struggle with the newness! I suppose commentary on building restoration in Tete will be another post on another day... there are ruins through-out the town and I fear they will be cleaned up all too soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One more year

Getting ticked off

In the evening...