Nyatandadza

7 traditional Nyungwe benches
Q's dad makes these cool benches called nyatandadza from local wood. This is an element of Nyungwe culture that I found just last year. The benches are seen in almost all homes in his village, but made by just two men. I've heard concern from a few that he's chopping down trees in his home area. I cannot guarantee that he's using fallen trees. I do know that trees are cut for firewood and charcoal. They need the wood for cooking because they don't have electricity or gas. Solar power is expensive and solar cookers aren't available out there anyway.

Made by a man in Matambo

Nyungwe culture in Tete City
I also know that people out there in Matambo don't have many ways to make money. So if he chops a tree for my bench, he can buy food that he can't grow himself on his small farm. I will keep his tree for years and appreciate how he saw a bench in a tree. This is a tree saved from becoming charcoal for someone's grill here in town. Once this tree is brought to town, it teaches us that local culture can be appreciated by all of us.

I do hope that he has a bit of a better life with a little money to buy soap and cloth for his wife. He might use the money to pay someone to transport thatch to repair his roof. He might buy a uniform or notebooks for a grandchild to go to school. He MIGHT... or not. He will decide how to use his money, I won't.

I don't think the craftsman is going to chop down all the trees to make benches either. There isn't that great of a market for them. One city neighbor says, "No one will steal THAT old thing that came from the bush!" It is mostly azungu that are interested. Nyungwe people see them in my yard and smile at seeing them in a new context.


Anyone interested in nyatandadza benches can get in touch.  I'd be interested to hear what you all think about issues of deforestation vs. using local materials for art to increase appreciation of local culture or encouraging home industry to improve the economic situation of families in rural Mozambique. There aren't easy answers. I was just happy to find beautiful Nyungwe things to share. I was excited about helping a friend feed his family. What do you think?

Comments

  1. Jeni, I laughed so hard when I saw this because I have a picture of our nyatandza (also from Matambo) that I was planning to post tomorrow. Hope that you guys are doing well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Katie, I guess you aren't against bringing a few nyatandza into town. Who made yours? Sr. Benjamim is our craftsman. School director said there was another man that makes them as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One more year

Getting ticked off

In the evening...