Lovin' it

My new computer is great. It is faster and more reliable than the other one that got hung up on the simplest tasks. I love my new broadband with a wireless router... except that it doesn't like Mikael's computer, so he's still bound to the cable and it nearly defeats the purpose of our upgrade. NEARLY. I still like working faster myself.

There are a few things that aren't working out in my transfer of stuff to the new machine. These are annoying and concern me a bit. Anyone with ideas can send me an email and I'll try it out.

1. Transferring files from an old crippled XP computer to the new one with Windows 7 is proving slow. I wanted to network the two through the wireless connection, but I'm not managing to get it straight. So I'm using a 2gig flash drive and 10 years of digital photos 2 gig at a time will take forever. I have my files for work... but my pictures are still on the old one. I'm working on uploading everything to Picasa where I'll have access to them all the time. Maybe that's the answer if I don't want to buy an external hard drive.

2. I was looking forward to Skyping with our new connection and new computer. I haven't managed to get Skype downloaded on the new one... I get distracted and end up on a Portuguese site where I can't figure out what they mean by the settings. I should be able to figure this out, but I get stuck and move on.

3. While looking at setting up Skype, I tried out my webcam. Unfortunately, I see it, but it doesn't see me! There it is at the top of the laptop, but it doesn't seem to register as a piece of hardware on the computer. I've looked online at the Dell website. I've tried my hardware manager... I've tried clicking anything that remotely looks like it will open or unlock this mysterious device. And all the while I have this niggling feeling that some hacker in cyberspace is watching me and laughing... because maybe he's controlling my web cam and I don't know it! Of course not... but...

So I'm trying to get everything set up so I can do my work here and communicate with the people who sent me here to do it. At least my email is working... and my facebook... and my blog... and lots of other stuff. I'm stubborn. It will work sooner or later.

Comments

  1. Did you get these issues sorted out, or are you still looking for help? Hälsa Mikael och barnen. /Daniel Nilsson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi... tried to contact you, but not getting anywhere. Email me and we'll talk about it! I've got some of the issues worked out and Friday I will be in South Africa where they will look at the computer. Of course, if you've got a hint I'm interested!
    Jeni

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One more year

Getting ticked off

In the evening...