I don’t eat bugs before breakfast…

Querino came to work this morning with a gift from home: ntswaya-- termites, flying ants! Mikael took one and nibbled half of it. They are little black and brown wingless crunchies. I’ve heard that they taste like bacon… BUT, on an empty stomach, before my coffee… sorry, I just don’t eat bugs before breakfast. “Give me one after my breakfast… or in the afternoon,” I replied.

Well, the “Tete shrimps” where gone by the time I got home at 3pm. So, I still haven’t eaten ntswaya. Pretty good, huh? Over 10 years in Mozambique, and this is the first time I’ve been offered this delicacy. I suppose it is just too good to waste on people who won’t really appreciate it; I say the same thing about good chocolate, real butter, and cheese. My African friends aren’t very impressed with these things we nibble in small quantities to make them last. I won’t be offended if they keep their best things to themselves, if they don’t ask me to part with my chocolate. Maybe we are more alike than it seems…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One more year

Getting ticked off

In the evening...