Can it get any worse?

Last week was one of those tough ones... 100F/40C every day. Power cuts day and night. Water off and dirt blowing in the hot wind. My fridge was a balmy 65F/22C on the inside and the repairman uttered these words: "Madam, the problem is not with your fridge, your house is just too hot." We were hot and dirty and grumpy and tired... Rosa was down with something, so I had to actually think about ironing (and worry about if she needed something and I couldn't get it to her).

And THEN it happened - the power went off at 3am one morning and didn't come back. Power off: water off, that is just the way it is. Samantha came and picked up my kids for school at 6:30am... it was unusually cloudy and much cooler. The breeze smelled of rain, but there were no drops. Mikael headed off for some business in town and was taking the noon carpool run for me. Rosa wasn't showing up.

It slowly dawned on me that I was home alone, and I couldn't do any of the 100 things on that list I keep running in my head. So, I sat down with a cup of coffee where there was a draft of cool air. I thanked God for a day off and invited Him to spend it with me. I rested. I think I probably needed it.

Pickings were slim for breakfast, but there were strawberries melting into mush in the freezer and milk threatening to sour. I thoroughly enjoyed what was being saved for a celebration or special occasion. It was lovely. Better than sneaking chocolate late at night.

I lay on my bed and closed my eyes and heard the birds singing and the leaves rustling. Shadows shifted as clouds floated over the sun. The tin roof ticked and crackled with slight temperature changes. Stillness is a luxury we often push aside when it threatens to sneak up on us. But, HE calls us to it: "Be still, and know that I am God."

By 2pm, I welcomed the power back. I made lunch for Mikael and John. I headed off to wait for the Zambezi crossing. Katie and her friends piled in for the ride home. I took it easy and had much more patience that day. I wonder why? :) I breathed deeper. I found beauty around me. I smiled more.

Take a deep breath. Thank God for something. Smile. Wait... He's here.

Comments

  1. this is why I follow your blog: it's real, honest, inspiring and illustrates just what cross-cultural mission is all about.

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting ticked off

One more year

In the evening...