Making a difference

One of the occupational side effects of being a missionary is that even when I am home, I am still trying to process my experiences in Mozambique. In some ways I am always connected to the people there. I know that they are still struggling with the same issues they had when I left. They might not be thinking about me, but I am thinking about them!

The past two weeks I've been ruminating on an idea to better the lives of Mozambicans in Tete. I'm ready to throw it out now and hear some comments.

Problem: Not enough water in poor neighborhoods. Long lines at public water sources. People feeling the only solution is to wash clothes and bathe in the River. Many suffer crocodile attacks! This is documented by the local surgeon who sews up more than one victim a week.

Idea: Keeping your family clean shouldn't be a matter of life and death! Starting a "laundry" may be an answer for some people. A place with a water source, shade, tanks for scrubbing, a safe place for kids to play while Mom washes.

Take it a step further and you have lines to hang wet clothes. While the washing is drying, Mom can participate in a literacy or community development class. We can add a Bible club for the kids. All that run-off water can be used for irrigation, and a garden can help support the project and teach appropriate agricultural techniques.

Reasoning: Wash day is a time when women get together. Many women don't have time for education because they are busy with their household and family. If they have a chance to do both, they stay safe while working, learning, and socializing.

So, if this makes sense, how are we going to do it? I know of at least three parts of town that need a laundry. Then there are other towns... Partnership, anyone?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting ticked off

One more year

In the evening...