Oh my, how time does fly!

It has been over a month since my first USA post on MozamWeek. I have been quite lax in communicating, I guess. Time with family getting adjusted to this life in Alabama has been good. We have gotten together each weekend (mostly for birthday celebrations - September seems to be the hot month for that around here!)

What can I write when there are no interesting cultural quirks that I can point out without offending my neighbors? I'm only half kidding. Alabama is full of cultural quirks that people are pretty proud of! Right now, we are leading up to Homecoming at the kids' school. As a K-12 school, the younger kids are also involved in homecoming more than in a larger school. So we are volunteering for banner construction and have stacks of fundraising opportunities to help with (insert a groan). Buy doughnuts? Sell coupon books? Get your face painted in class with the team logo for only a dollar?

After spending so much time in Mozambique, a dollar has more meaning than it does for a "normal" American. I can easily pay "only" a dollar for my long-awaited favorite candy from my childhood (because I haven't even SEEN this goodie for about four years). BUT I hesitate to spend a dollar for face paint or a packet of chips in the cafeteria. The school book fair had lots to offer under $10 in comparison to the $20 price on the books that had to be shipped to Mozambique at my kids' last school. I'm loving the better prices on many things.

Here's what we look like in Alabama- it only took me a week to get our wardrobes to coordinate with the other 11 family members in the big picture. Good thing I like shopping...
But better prices means shopping around. I only spent one-and-a-half hours at Walmart last week. My first shot at groceries with coupons and price comparisons was closer to three hours when I'd just arrived. Since we are going to be here for a total of 5 months, I've been able to get to know shops and prices like a real housewife for a change.

I've also tried almost all my favorite fast food places at a rate of one a week. Saturday we stopped at Dairy Queen for Blizzards. I've missed DQ. I think about it way too much while living in hot, dusty Tete. Now I've gotten my fix for another 4 years, I guess. Unless they send me another BOGO* coupon!

*"Buy one, get one" -- I spent a month thinking this was a new electronic payment option in certain stores. Duh.

Comments

  1. I love listening to you talk. You make every-day life sound so interesting :). You all look wonderful in the photos - I'm sure it was a fun shoot! Isn't it funny how the more technology I have, the less I communicate??? Promise - I do love you!! Stay blessed!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

One more year

Getting ticked off

In the evening...