Why I love Red Zebra Project - 3


In the two previous posts, I mentioned how RED ZEBRA BOOKS can improve literacy skills in general and how RED ZEBRA BOOKS are helping teachers improve comprehension skills in particular. This is my last post about why I love RED ZEBRA Project. What more can I say?

Well, RED is my favorite color... and I think it is becoming very popular with young readers! RED ZEBRA BOOKS are incredibly well-received. I have a long list of stories about how I see children and adults turn on to reading when they actually understand the content. It makes a difference, you know. What is reading for if there is no message in the words? 

Very early on, I found that I needed someone to get behind the distribution in a way I can't. That is where Veronica comes in. She's now distributing RED ZEBRA BOOKS and she's a real powerhouse! Veronica is 24 years old with a high school diploma. She works for a Christian ministry as a cook, and helps lead a children's ministry on Saturday mornings with over 100 kids! She is training with us on her days off as part of an internship. Veronica shares the booklets with everyone she meets. She's gone off to markets and corners of neighborhoods with a pocket full of books. I asked if she feels funny going where she doesn't have a prior contact. Her answer, "Anywhere I go with these books, I am welcome."

She steps right up in front of a crowd of kids at recess, or happily sits with just a few kids to share the stories and link them to lessons about honesty, forgiveness and loyalty in friendship.


When founder David Ker visited Tete earlier this year, he was able to see first-hand how popular the Nyungwe RED ZEBRA BOOKS are with the local people. From the linguist at the training college to the children on the street, the books are appreciated. Few books are available in Tete. People aren't used to seeing their own stories published and illustrated in this quality or quantity. 



RED ZEBRA BOOKS mean that for the first time, any child can own literature. 
The elderly see their culture and language have value in society.   


I can go on and on... and I will if you want to sit down with a cup of coffee and chat sometime. I believe simple Nyungwe stories are opening the door to a hunger for literature. I believe that in phase two of Nyungwe book production, the parables of Jesus will reach new readers in churches. I believe that soon readers will grow confident enough to try reading the more difficult books and even understand that reading in Portuguese in school is supposed to MEAN something. That's the key, really.

Since I am actually a missionary, I have other hopes. Once people look for meaning, reading from the Nyungwe Bible will be a lot more attractive. I happen to believe that the Bible opens so much through knowing Jesus. That's why I'm here. God bless the RED ZEBRA PROJECT for paving the way for learning and knowing and growing in knowledge and in faith. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One more year

Rosa

Getting ticked off