Peace to you

I can list all the upheavals and setbacks and bumps in the road.
Honestly, we have our share.
I can list them for you to feel somehow that I am deserving of your sympathy or pity or help.
I can throw all the ugly truth out there for everyone to see just what we go through around here.

But really, that isn't the way I live my life. I am dependent on God's provision through his people... and even through people who don't recognize they are used by Him. I've had to ask for money and it feels pretty crappy. I've had to wait a week or two or more to follow through on plans I've made. They are good plans. They aren't even selfish plans! But it isn't up to me to make them happen in the end. 

So, what do I men when I say that God provides? And what do I mean when I say that I must depend? And what do I mean when I say that I don't make lists of all the rotten breaks in this life? 

I guess I mean that there is peace. Again and again I am thrown out of my comfort zone in being a responsible adult who can take care of her own affairs and plan for all the contingencies. Over and over again I have to give up the plan and walk in the circumstances of life. Whether they are random circumstances or tests of faith or karma or the attacks of the Evil One... I don't know. I don't even care. It doesn't change a thing. Does it? 

I must still walk.
I must still stand for what is right and good.
I must still teach "them" everything that Jesus has taught me.
I must still trust God for His best for me.
I must still love my neighbor as myself. 
I must still care for those who have less.
I must still pay the bills.
I must still feed my family.
I must still get Nyungwe books into the hands of Nyungwe people.
I must still write a newsletter and report on what is happening.
I must still renew my residence documents.

And you have to do it too. So how does it work in your world? Does it go smoothly every day? Do you respond with patient kindness when there is a roadblock? Do you try?

I was looking for a picture to go with the post. I wanted a picture of me looking peaceful and happy. I am the picture-taker in the family, so I am not in a lot of pictures unless they are posed. Or the "selfies"... the terrible selfies! I have a few of those because I want there to be a record of my life here on earth with people I love. So I debated... all the criticism about how we want our lives on Facebook to look perfect and we want our self-portraits to show our good side. How that looks vain and childish. 

But here it is. My selfies of a happy and peaceful woman here in Africa. I want to remember the good times! There are MANY! I don't want to dwell on the hard stuff and wallow in the pity! I don't want to make it look like I am "suffering for the Lord" over here in the pit of despair! What kind of evil people would want to support my work if it makes me miserable? I want people to pray for me to be effective in my work! I want people to support a ministry they believe is worthwhile! I want to show the world that it ain't always pretty, but God is always good and He is always present! 

So, brothers and sisters... 
fellow wanderers and seekers... 
I pray that peace will rule your hearts and minds no matter what the circumstances. I pray that you will trust God to take you far and love you well. I pray that you will know that you aren't alone in the journey -- and that there is joy in your journey, no matter what. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting ticked off

Rosa

What is it?