Rosa

Yesterday I got a request to Skype with a friend in Mozambique. I thought it odd, but knew it must be something important. "I just didn't want to tell you this in an email or on Facebook," she explained as we finally got connected. "I just found out that Dona Rosa has died. Q said it was back in January. She was sick, he said you knew about the illness. I'm so sorry. I know you were close to her."


Dona Rosa. Rosa worked with me for nearly 14 years in Mozambique. She was our empregada: employee. She arrived on our doorstep in November 1998, soon after we began living in Tete. She knocked on our door one morning and asked for a job. Without references, we were hesitant to "let her in." She came back every day practically begging for work. "I have two hands and I need work. My brother will tell you that I'm a good worker." After struggling to wash blue jeans by hand in a basin of cold water a few times, I gave in. "Ok, come and work half-days until Christmas. Then we will see."

That worked into a long-term chain of employment with us. She proved to be extremely trustworthy. She did her job. She didn't complain. She asked for things when she needed them. She had the key to our home. She cared for our children. She was our advocate with other employees. She taught us about Nyungwe culture and Tete rules for life. She borrowed money to do several projects and always repaid without problems. She knew how to manage her affairs even if she wasn't well-educated, even if she was a widow with a daughter, even if she was sometimes supporting as many as ten family members on her salary. She was honest, generous, careful and kind.

At first when I was told of her death, I wasn't surprised. I was almost relieved. She suffered from malaria a few times a year. She had digestive problems sometimes. She didn't have AIDS or HIV. After fleeing an abusive husband when her daughter was just an infant, she had remained alone. I believed her when she said she didn't "have men." She could have, but knew the price of that relationship.

Rosa knew how to trust in God. When I left a few weeks after her 50th birthday, we said goodbye. "I'll see you when when we get back," I said as always. "If God wills," she said as always. I believe shes enjoying Heaven where she can worship God without the worries of this world. I'll miss her. Tete won't be the same without her. 

Comments

  1. I am sorry for the loss of your friend. I pray her daughter will be properly looked after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's such a beautiful portrait of a beuatiful woman. I understand Tete won't be the same when she's not there. Would have liked to meet her :-)
    God bless dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww this makes me sad. She was a part of your family in Tete. I first met her in 2000 when I came to visit when Katie was born and saw her again 11/2 years ago. A very kind young women with a big smile. A very good, reliable worker. I'm so sorry, I know you will really miss her when you return to Tete. God bless you and the kids. Love you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting ticked off

What is it?