Foundations and fun stuff...

I had lots to do today... kids are out of school... Mikael is teaching at the Bible school this week. Grandma and Farmor and all our aunts and cousins are far, far away! What is a missionary mom to do in this case? Call another missionary mom, of course!

It just so happens that Chris and Katie Nalls live half a mile away. This couple from Georgia have been in Tete for nearly 6 months. They are working with the Baptist church here in Nyungwe-land. So, when I have a 9am meeting in town, and people building gazebos and guardhouses on the Hill on the other side of the river I need a hand. Thanks to the Nalls, my kids had a lovely day with little Abigail and I got my work taken care of! Click HERE to visit their blog where they have posted pictures of my kids from today!

I also have taken pictures, but my camera is in the shop and my phone doesn't talk with my computer, so you will have to wait to see the excitement of building on The Hill! I did see the preliminary sketches of our house, and it is just like I hoped, but with a Mozambican accent! My draftsman will make changes and then let me know. Kind of exciting!

As for my meeting at the department of education this morning, we had new challenges this time. First, I sat for 20 minutes at the bridge waiting to get to town. (I used the time to fill in details for our branch photo book... Nyungwe will be among the languages represented, so I need to get a few things prepared for them to show off our work here!) Upon arriving at the meeting, I find that THEY have rescheduled us... but not informed us that our meeting will be next Tuesday! Since the Education Partners are all excited to partner together these days, we had ten organizations who didn't wait for invitations, but just showed up for the scheduled meeting!

We asked to use the meeting room for 30 minutes while they prepared the invitations for next week's meeting. Since I won't be here next week, I asked if it would be appropriate for SIL to present our report today. Pastor Bata from the translation work was with me this time to get to know the partners as well. We showed off our literacy manuals in Nyungwe, our grammar sketches, and a new LIDEMO CD-ROM that David Ker is working on to promote Mozambican languages. Very good response to a quick presentation! Bata will represent SIL at the next meeting when the other partners present their programs and we will see who will partner with who.

From there, it was up the Hill to see the foundation of the guard house for the plot. Then I had to run for 20 liter water jugs, and bags of cement, we chased down the truck driver who promised to deliver our bricks, we hunted through markets for baobab rope to tie our roof on the gazebo. All this made for very interesting photos that I can't show you! Oh well, I ate lunch with Miriamu... goat stew with cabbage and nsima (the local polenta-like basic food) and I headed back to the bridge. This time, I drove right through, there was no line to wait in. These days, that is a reason to praise the Lord all the way home!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One more year

Rosa

Getting ticked off